Earliest start date: 1st of February
Latest finish date: 15th April 2019
Location: Bilbao city center.
Live on the ship for FREE and get 100€ sailing credit per month!
*Minimum stay required: 30 days*
IMPORTANT NOTE: From 1st until 6th of March we might not be able to accommodate you!
After the sailing season comes the maintenance period in port. We need a lot of help, so this is your chance of experiencing ATYLA without expending any money. Even better, we reward you with 100€ sailing credit for each month you stay on board!
For people living in Bilbao: If you don't need accommodation, you get 10€/day. The minimum stay required is the same (30 days), but you don't need to do those days in a row.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
Your main tasks on board are ship repairs, improvements and maintenance works of different size during the week.
On the weekend, as part of our collaboration with the Maritime Museum of Bilbao volunteers are in charge of opening the deck to visitors and keeping them and the ship safe.
No experience is necessary. But we gladly welcome specific technical skills like woodwork, caulking, electricity, shipbuilding or plumbing. If you stay longer, you might receive a leadership position and responsibility to guide others and develop your leadership skills.
During the time on board, the ship will be your home, so apart from the cool ship maintenance jobs, everyone also needs to help with the cleaning (and eventually with the cooking). If you like cooking and/or cleaning you can do more of that and less of other works.WHAT DO YOU GET?
- A chance to experience the life on board a traditional wooden vessel.
- Accommodation in your own private bunk.
- Full board (3 meals a day).
- Meeting and socialising with a team of international volunteers.
- Learning or improving manual crafts and technical skills.
- A great experience to include in your CV.
- Certificate of your volunteering for ATYLA Ship Foundation (upon request).
- A home at the heart of Bilbao, perfect for exploring the sights, culture and food of this amazing city.
This opportunity is not meant to be a vacation, and ATYLA is certainly not a luxury yacht. But to try to ensure some comfort, the ship is fully equipped* with facilities including heating, bathrooms with showers, deck lighting, awnings, full safety equipment and a large living room with couches and a 60-inch-TV.
*Understand though, that during maintenance, some of these features might be temporarily unavailable, because the idea is to repair or improve them.CONDITIONS
- Volunteers are expected to work 40 hours a week.
- We require a minimum stay of 1 month, there is no maximum stay. We encourage you to stay onboard for as long as you want.
- You will go through an application process taking into consideration your skills, your motivation and the dates when you are available.
- A deposit of 200€ is required to secure your position and will be refunded at the end of your volunteering period.
- We welcome volunteers of all nationalities, ages and backgrounds. Since no experience is necessary, the only requirement is a good attitude and a willingness to learn and engage with the tasks on board.
- Be aware that the ship will not sail during this time.
- Pay the deposit on this page (If for any reason we decline your application, your deposit will be immediately refunded in full).
- After paying you'll receive an automated email with the link to our Embarkation form where you can write about the dates when you are available and fill out your application form.
- We will invite you to a short video interview
- Shortly after we'll be in touch to confirm your application, and you'll be welcome to join us for the dates agreed.
For questions or assistance please email email@example.com
Find reviews of previous volunteers on our Facebook page!
Remember: The €200 are a deposit, not a fee. It will be refunded in full after your stay onboard has been successfully completed.
Of course, you can also leave the deposit as a donation to our Scholarship Fund and help others enjoy an experience on ATYLA too.
We are looking forward to your application!
Pay for your deposit as Volunteer - 200.0€