Live on the ship for FREE and get 100€ sailing credit per month!
Starting any time, as soon as the lockdown regulations allow it.
30 days minimum stay.
Location: Bilbao city center.
After the sailing season comes the maintenance period in port. We need a lot of help, so this is your chance of experiencing Atyla without expending any money. Even better, we reward you with 100€ sailing credit for each month you volunteer on board!
For people living in Bilbao: If you don't need accommodation, you get 10€/day. The minimum stay required is the same (30 days), but you don't need to do those days in a row.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
During 5 days a week, normally from 9:00 to 17:00, you'll be helping with the tasks on board.
The main areas of work are the following. Depending on your skills, your interests and the needs on board, you can focus on one or more of them.
- Carpentry and woodwork
No experience is necessary. But we gladly welcome skills and experience related to the tasks in the list. If you stay longer, or if you're able to come back year after year, you might receive a leadership position and responsibility to guide others and develop your leadership skills (and get an extra pay).
On the weekends, as part of our collaboration with Itsasmuseum Bilbao do open doors let visitors walk around our deck. You'll take turns with the other volunteers to welcome the visitors and maintain safety. This shouldn't take a lot of time, and it's a relaxed and pleasant task done in pairs or groups.
- A chance to experience the life on board a traditional wooden vessel.
- Accommodation in your own private bunk.
- Full board (3 meals a day).
- Meeting and socialising with a team of international volunteers.
- Learning or improving manual crafts and technical skills.
- A great experience to include in your CV.
- Certificate of your volunteering for Atyla Ship Foundation (upon request).
- A home at the heart of Bilbao, perfect for exploring the sights, culture and food of this amazing city.
During your volunteering, the ship will be your home. The mood on board is very friendly and relaxed, and you'll probably make friends with the other people on board.
To try to ensure some comfort, the ship is fully equipped with facilities including heating, bathrooms with hot showers, full safety equipment and a large living room with couches and a 60-inch-TV.
In any case, this opportunity is not meant to be a vacation, and Atyla is certainly not a luxury yacht. Also, during maintenance time, some of these features might be temporarily unavailable if we need to repair or improve them.
- Volunteers are expected to work 40 hours a week.
- We require a minimum stay of 1 month, there is no maximum stay. We encourage you to stay on board for as long as you want.
- You will go through an application process taking into consideration your skills, your motivation and the dates when you are available.
- A deposit of 200€ is required to secure your position and will be refunded at the end of your volunteering period.
- We welcome volunteers of all nationalities, ages and backgrounds. Since no experience is necessary, the only requirement is a good attitude and a willingness to learn and engage with the tasks on board.
- Be aware that the ship will (most probably) not sail during this time.
HOW TO APPLY
- Pay the deposit on this page (If for any reason we decline your application, your deposit will be immediately refunded in full).
- After paying you'll receive an automated email with the link to our Embarkation form where you can write about the dates when you are available and fill out your application form.
- We will invite you to a short video interview
- Shortly after we'll be in touch to confirm your application, and you'll be welcome to join us for the dates agreed.
For questions or assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Find reviews of previous volunteers on our Facebook page!
Remember: The €200 is a deposit, not a fee. It will be refunded in full after your stay onboard has been successfully completed.
Of course, you can also leave the deposit as a donation to our Scholarship Fund and help others enjoy an experience on ATYLA too.
We are looking forward to your application!
Pay for your deposit as Volunteer - 200.0€